According to ancient Ayurveda wisdom, it is said that each of the three herbal fruits in a blend known as Triphala, promotes internal cleansing by removing toxins while at the same time acting as a total body tonic for improving digestion and assimilation. Western healing practitioners also use this blend because of its historical benefits that remain constant. Click to continue reading…
Western conventional medicine is beginning to validate Triphala’s benefits as well. In 2006, scientists found that it has the ability to induce cytotoxicity in tumor cells, but spares normal cells. In December 2005, a report in the Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cancer Research noted that Triphala was effective in reducing the incidence of tumors and increasing antioxidant status in animal studies. Additionally, the same year a report was published showing a significant cytotoxic (cell-killing) effect on cancer cell-lines, which may be due to the action of Gallic acid, a major polyphenol contained in Triphala. The same authors previously reported that Triphala “had promising antimutagenic/anticarcinogenic potential” – meaning it is effective for blasting away cancer cells before they spread.
A Doctor’s Perspective
After more than twenty years specializing in working with patients that are the most hypersensitive to supplements and herbals, specifically those with leaky gut and multiple allergic response syndromes (MARS™), environmental illnesses and chemically-induced immune system disorders, I find that a fiber supplement containing Triphala is most effective and well-tolerated. This is important because these conditions require reducing the overall toxic load of the body as quickly and safely as possible in order to effect reduction of symptoms and facilitate a return to wellness.
It was challenging to find a supplement that contained this healing combination without other herbs that were aggressive or triggered allergic responses in the most sensitive patients. Finally, a special formula was made specifically for hypersensitive patients containing Triphala that can be used both for initial colon cleansing as well as at reduced levels for long-term maintenance because it contains no habit-forming or aggressive ingredients. It is made from vegetable fibers and herbs in a tablet rather than those nasty tasting powder blends that are, at times, difficult and inconvenient to take.
There are no known side-effects associated with using Triphala and, when included in a colon fiber blend, more can be supplemented when used for its anti-cancer properties.
The proprietary blend specifically formulated in tablets is ColonSweep™ and only available through selected health professionals, Wholistic Rejuvenists and the HealthMattersStore.
Triphala and Pancreatic Cancer
A more recent study reported from the University of Pittsburg Cancer Institute reports that Triphala contains cancer-fighting properties that prevent or slow the growth of pancreatic cancer tumors implanted in mice. The study found that Triphala caused pancreatic cancer cells to die through apoptosis, or programmed cell death (the body’s normal method of disposing of damaged or unneeded cells), with no side effects.
Dr. Srivastava and his colleagues found that the mice that received Triphala had increased levels of apoptosis-associated proteins and significantly smaller tumor sizes compared to the control group; Triphala-treated tumors were also half the size of tumors in untreated mice.
East Meets West
The following is an abbreviated list of what Triphala is credited for in both Western and Ayurvedic medicine.
- Effectively reduces cholesterol
- Improves circulation
- Reduces hypertension
- Improves liver function
- Contains anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties
- Slows the growth of pancreatic cancer tumors
- Provides excellent fiber for effective colon cleansing
- Contains powerful antioxidant properties
- Shows radio-protective qualities in mice exposed to gamma-radiation.
- Shown to reduce cholesterol-induced hypercholesterolemia and atherosclerosis.
Unique Names, Unique Results
Triphala is an ancient Ayurvedic herbal formula made from three plants: Amalaki (aka Amla), Bhibitaki and Haritaki. Botanically speaking, these are known as Emblica officinale, Terminalia chebula and Terminalia belarica.
Ten Golden Benefits of Triphala
Keep in mind that the benefits are not limited to this; it only represents a quick summary.
1. It acts as an antioxidant agent preventing free radical formation in the body – this property helps it to prevent early aging signs like wrinkles and premature graying of hairs.
2.It is helpful in regularizing normal peristaltic movements that are essential for proper passage of food from one organ to another – assisting transit time of food, which aids digestion and elimination.
3. It helps in proper digestion of food.
4. It is very effective in stimulating the liver for optimized functioning. It additionally helps secretion of the bile juices that are required for fat metabolism.
5. It is very helpful in reducing arterial plaque formation, thereby reducing the risk of heart related problems caused due to arteriosclerosis.
6. Triphala helps in maintaining proper levels of cholesterol – preventing fatal and deadly heart disorders. It additionally helps in curbing the formation of low density lipoprotein (LDL).
7. It is very much effective in suppressing infections or foreign invasion of the blood, thereby helpful in preventing any kind of skin related diseases and other infectious conditions in the body.
8. It assists in maintaining proper secretions of the endocrine system – responsible for maintaining proper homeostasis (balance) in the body and aiding proper functioning of all the physiological processes in the body.
9. It’s an excellent remedy for eye disorders and helps in improving eye vision by strengthening eye muscles.
10. Last but not the least, its actions as a mild laxative helps in evacuating the bowel of stagnant matter, therefore, is considered one of the best body detoxifiers because it facilitates expulsion of toxins, facilitating overall reduction of the body burden.
- Is Spirulina Good For Arteries? How Can This Help Improve Overall Heart Health - September 10, 2023
- Spirulina Blood Pressure Benefits To Take Advantage Of - September 10, 2023
- Spirulina For Cancer: How Can This Blue-Green Algae Help? - September 10, 2023