The majority of clients I consult with are highly responsive to foods and their environment. They all
have inflammation in common and usually a few extra pounds as well. You see my friends, many factors contribute to extra weight including damage to the intestinal tract (leaky gut), hormone imbalances, blood sugar and thyroid disorders, to name a few.
I had to completely eliminate wheat and gluten while repairing my intestinal system due to leaky
gut as a result of anti-inflammatory medications prescribed after a serious accident as detailed in my best-selling book I was Poisoned by my body. Once my gut and liver were repaired I began eating
wheat/gluten only when away from home as a treat – kind of a reward for having repaired my health. What a mistake that was! Gluten contains a protein with a name like that found in a scary movie, Zonulin. Yes, it IS scary, scary to your gut health and overall immune responses because of the damage it can create.
Important Note: If you are experiencing ANY inflammation, you must also eliminate the entire group of foods in the nightshade family. This genre of food contains alkaloid chemicals that “ignite” inflammation; including intestinal inflammation. If you do not have a list of these foods handy, click here to download a card you can carry with you. Click here for a flier with detailed information about the nightshade foods.
It is basically a special type of protein found in foods such as cereals, some grains, and wheat. Its
main purpose is to keep the elasticity intact in foods during the fermentation phase of food production. Gluten makes bread “chewy” and prevents other foods from having a sticky, doughy-like texture.
Overall Benefits of a Gluten-free Diet…
- Consumption ofmore fruits and vegetables rather than processed foods which usually contain
large amounts of gluten along with other chemical additives.
- You’ll beeliminating unhealthy oils as contained in store-bought bread products,
doughnuts, pastries, cookies, etc.
- Eliminatinggluten reduces your risks of heart disease, some cancers, diabetes and
metabolic syndrome, to mention a few.
- A healthy dietdevoid of gluten helps your immune responses so you’re better able to ward offviruses and germs because much of what you’ll consume are rich in antioxidants,essential vitamins and minerals. In addition, your food will be “live” not
The following is a summary of conditions affected by consumption of wheat/gluten:
Leaky Gut occurs when the outer sheath of a villus (seen like little fingers), linedwith tiny epithelial cells through which toxins may enter the bloodstream andcause damage, including to the liver which then can manifest as multiple
allergic responses to food and environmental exposures.
Leaky gut – The protein, Zonulin, in gluten damages the tight junctions in your gut known as the villi – substances NOT intended to seep through your gut wall do so, creating an immune response.
Delayed reactions, which can occur hours or days later, include fatigue, bloating, and other symptoms that contribute to weight gain and lowered immune responses.
Inflammation – Gluten can trigger inflammation inany tissue, which is your body’s way of fighting what it sees as a foreigninvader. Zonulin’s damage to your tight junctions also creates inflammation.Chronic inflammation is not your friend. Besides contributing to nearly everydisease imaginable (including diabetes and cancer), inflammation creates anumber of problems that stall fat loss, including increased levels of yourstress hormone cortisol, increased fluid retention, digestive issues, andfeeling sluggish so you’re more likely to lie on the couch than burn fat at the
Insulin Resistance – many gluten-containing foods have ahigh glycemic load and raise your blood sugar. Your pancreas responds withinsulin, which pulls that blood sugar down – often too far down, leading tocravings. When you constantly eat gluten foods, your cells become overloadedwith insulin and eventually stop “hearing” its message to storeglucose. Insulin resistance is often the result which then slams shut the doorsto your fat cells and makes fat loss nearly impossible. The sugar-bindingproteins called lectins in gluten can also bind to insulin receptors andtrigger insulin resistance. Many gluten-containing types of bread and otherfoods also contain high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). It’s not just the glucosein HFCS that contributes to insulin resistance but also increased insulin
resistance, according to a study in the journal
Nutrition and Metabolism.
Leptin resistance – a study showed that lectins, thesugar-binding proteins that cause insulin resistance, may also create leptin
resistance, as reported in the Journal
BMC Metabolic Disorders. Leptin is ahormone that tells your brain you’re full, which means you’re less likely toreach for seconds. But when you become leptin resistant, your brain doesn’t”hear” leptin’s message to put the brakes on the buffet, putting you
at risk for overeating and weight gain.
Cravings – Do you remember uncontrollably eatinga box of Wheat Thins or reaching for a third slice of buttered toast?Ironically, the foods you’re most reactive to are the ones you crave most.According to Dr. Daniel Kalish, your body reacts to intolerant foods bycreating addictive narcotics called opioid endorphins. Like a drug, you have a
feeling of euphoria when you eat these foods, and subsequently crave them.
Blocks nutrient absorption – Some “experts” expressconcern that without gluten foods, people will miss out on important nutrients.I’ve yet to learn which nutrients they’re referring to. You can get all thevitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients you need from lean cleanprotein, veggies, low-glycemic fruits like berries, and starchy fiber-rich
carbs like sweet potatoes and lentils.
In fact, gluten can inhibit nutrient absorption. For one, gluten-triggered permeability
inhibits your gut from absorbing nutrients and making vitamin B-12. And the indigestible phytates in gluten and other whole grains are considered an anti-nutrient because they bind and make bio-unavailable important minerals like chromium, which helps balance blood sugar.
Decreases Thyroid Performance – Gluten resembles your thyroid, sowhen immune antibodies tag gluten for removal, they also trigger antibodiesagainst your thyroid. In other words, you increase your chances for autoimmunedisease when you constantly eat gluten. Many people are challenged withunsuccessful attempts at losing those extra pounds, especially in theirmid-section as they age. Researchers attribute this weight gain, and inabilityto eliminate it to thyroid disease; much of which is caused by consuminggluten-containing foods. According to Dr. Alan Christianson, a researcher andauthor, “People with the most common type of thyroid disease have 12 timesthe rate of gluten intolerance as the general population does. Consequently,those struggling with their weight should consider a gluten free diet along
with assessment of thyroid status.”
Dr. Gloria’s 30-Day Rejuvenation Challenge…
BEFORE you begin, do the following:
- Get all gluten-containing products out of your home and/or office.
- Do your due diligence by scouting out health stores in your area so you can easily locate items to include that are gluten-free.
- Weigh yourself on the same scale you’ll be using throughout the challenge. ONLY weigh yourself once a week during the challenge, preferably on the same day and first thing in the morning before anything to eat or drink…keep a diary.
- Make sure your bowels are producing full, complete daily eliminations; if not, consider the all-natural fiber and herbal supplement, ColonSweep©.Make sure you keep things moving while adding the fiber capsules/tablets to“brush” colonic plaque. Begin with maybe 3-4 in the evening anytime with plenty
of water. If needed, add an all herbal non-habit-forming stool softener, EliminAid©, to
assist in full evacuation.
- Be sure to consume at least half ofyour body weight in ounces. Example: If you weigh 180 lbs. you need at least 90 ounces of water daily. Remember that for every cup of a caffeinated beverage itsucks out two cups of fluid from your body. Therefore, you need to add that amount of water to your daily equation.
- Purchase all the ingredients you choose to include in your daily medical food protein shake, if you decide to do
Eat three meals a day OR consume one or two medical food protein shakes a day and one regular meal; which I often do especially when working long hours and I need to
maintain energy (physically and mentally) and healthy blood sugar levels. Best results are achieved by consuming 2 shakes a day and one meal.
Many of you have asked for my medical food protein shake recipe. Keep in mind that my formula is for my special needs which includes maintaining a balanced blood sugar, support for cardiovascular health, detoxification of heavy metals and toxins, aminos for healthy
anti-aging, hair and nails; basically a healthy meal replacement for anyone over age 50.
Here it is – Dr. Gloria’s Protein Shake:
- 2 scoops of Ultimate Clear & Rejuvenate medical food protein powder
- 1 tsp. Sun Chlorella powder (I began with ¼ tsp. toavoid a detox response and slowly worked up to current dose. The more toxic you
are, the slower you should begin). Available over-the-counter in health stores.
- 1 scoop Amino Acid powder
- 1 scoop D-ribose powder (for cardiovascular support)
* to order directly from the manufacturer see note below
- 2 TB. Omega 3-6-9 emulsion (pharmaceutical-grade fish oilin a unique, creamy liquid that is an absolutely delicious way to supplementessential fatty acids and to help with inflammation. It contains EPA & DHA
as purified salmon and cod liver oil). * to order directly from the manufacturer see note
- 8-10 oz. milk alternative (almond, rice, hazelnut or hemp).
NOTE: If I begin to experience any inflammation, I add
1 scoop of the medical food specifically formulated for that, Wholistic Medical Food for IBS
- 2 oz. Pure Coconut Water (high in minerals &electrolytes)
We have made arrangements directly with the nutraceuticalcompany for you to order direct for these two products. Simply go to my website
www.gloriagilbere.com and click on the BioGenesis logo in the bottom left.
Insert the Access Code: WSBR (all capital letters) and you will purchase
For all recommended products that are highlighted in yellow, you can purchase from the Health Matters Store directly as they are professional products and not available over-the-counter. Go to www.gloriagilbere.com and click on the store for all products.
What You’ll Gain…
- Reduction of your body’s overall toxic load;
- Overall feeling of renewal (more sustained energy and stamina and better bowel eliminations);
- Reduction of overall inflammation (intestinal and otherwise) to allow the body to repair and rejuvenate;
- Improvement in sleep and quality of sleep;
- Less propensity for food and environmental allergies;
What You’ll Lose…
- Some of those extra pounds that have stubbornly stayed around – especially in your mid-section – average if challenge is complied to is 7-10 pounds and up to 20 pounds if adhered to for 90 days;
- That toxic extra body burden that accumulates in the intestinal tract as “glue” from gluten;
- Some of your cravings for high carbohydrate foods and sugars;
- That feeling that your “get-up-and-go, got-up-and-left”.
For those of you choosing to take the challenge but need guidance for your specific condition, I am offering a one-time limited consultation, specifically to guide you in performing the
challenge, at the discounted rate of $70 USD for a 30-minute non-client telephone or Skype session (I even place the call to 16 countries). To schedule your consultation call Toll-free (US & Canada) 888.352.8175, Local number 208.255.5252; lines are open Monday – Thursday 8: to 2: Pacific Time (closed Friday).
If you’ve tried everything else, you’ve probably failed because you’re not supporting the organs of detoxification along with making life-style modifications that not only allow you to eliminate those extra pounds but to also keep them off. The success of this Challenge has been so great that our consultation times are booked several weeks in advance for those wanting guidance. If you call to book your consult now, we’ve reserved a few spaces each week for non-clients in order to help you get started sooner rather than later in this new year. Remember, we can’t keep doing the same old things and expecting different results…
Abbreviated List of References
Basciano H, et al.
Fructose, insulin resistance, and metabolic dyslipidemia. Nutr Metab (Lond).
2005 Feb 21;2(1):5.
Collin P, et al. Autoimmune
thyroid disorders and coeliac disease. Eur J Endocrinol. 1994
Jönsson T, et al. Agrarian
diet and diseases of affluence–do evolutionary novel dietary lectins cause
leptin resistance? BMC Endocr Disord. 2005 Dec 10;5:10.
- Is Spirulina Good For Arteries? How Can This Help Improve Overall Heart Health - September 10, 2023
- Spirulina Blood Pressure Benefits To Take Advantage Of - September 10, 2023
- Spirulina For Cancer: How Can This Blue-Green Algae Help? - September 10, 2023