After 15+ years as president/research consultant of two non-profit international fibromyalgia organizations, and numbers of those afflicted rising to epidemic proportions – now estimated to be one in forty people – my commitment of finding causes, effects and non-drug solutions to inflammatory disorders is one I take very seriously. Both in my private virtual global practice and in teaching post graduate courses for health professionals, my professional commitment of “Health thru Education™” remains focused on identifying and reporting natural solutions.
SAFE Pain Alternatives to Toxic Drugs
This research article helps you to understand the terms Kinase or Kinase Modulators
Kinases play a critical role in pain syndromes because they are the signals that influence transmission of the pain cascade and the signal pathways from the affected areas to the brain. The use of kinase modulating ingredients help to interrupt pain signals and I’ve found it to be extremely effective for most pain syndromes particularly those from fibromyalgia, arthritis, Lupus, etc.
Interrupting pain signals not only provides soft tissue relief but also join relief. In other words, if pain signals are not getting through to the portion of the brain that sends up “red flags” that then accelerate existing pain, pain is lessened…CLICK HERE to read full report.
This month is heart month and I’m gifting all of you with a gift directly from my heart. For over 15 years my patients, post-graduate students and followers have been asking for a cookbook that expands on all the teachings of Wholistic Rejuvenation…AND…that it’s easy, healthy and tasty – you asked, it’s here! My production team at my new Cooking Institute have been busy for over a year working with me creating and testing recipes that have no ingredients that induce inflammation or sabotage our health. Since we know inflammation is at the foundation of most disorders, and it’s my specialty, the cookbook had to be unique in its ingredients yet so tasty you wouldn’t miss the “unhealthy” ingredients…mission accomplished!
We’ve all been there – you’re going along in life like you’ve always done and suddenly you realize what you’re doing just isn’t working for you anymore…OR…like me, you’re plunged into a completely new dietary protocol as a result of a life-threatening accident and suddenly you’re allergic to everything because you developed an intestinal disorder and liver damage caused by drugs used to save your life.
As a doctor of natural health and running two successful clinics (for 21-years) working with patients EXACTLY with the same symptoms I was now experiencing was very humbling. I was forced to make the dietary changes I counseled my thousands of patients to make…AND…I recovered…all along keeping in mind that achieving and maintaining health is a journey, not a destination…
Continue reading “Issue 2.1.19 EXCITING NEWS for Subscribers of “Dr. Gloria – Your Health Detective”” »
If the “town crier” isn’t the only one crying…and you’re one of the millions suffering from fibromyalgia, arthritis, gout, joint and/or soft tissue pain, or dental pain, science has finally confirmed what I’ve been researching and writing about for over twenty years…unsweetened tart cherry juice to the rescue!
Scientific Perspective…Oregon Health & Science University has now proven that tart cherries DO help reduce chronic inflammation that leads to most pain syndromes. Tart cherries, it turns out, have the highest anti-inflammatory compounds of any other food!
- In Oregon, researchers asked 20 women, aged between 40 and 70, to drink an unsweetened juice made from tart cherries twice a day for three weeks. At the end of the study, researchers found significant improvements in the levels of inflammation the women were experiencing, with the most dramatic results being seen in the women with the worst osteoarthritis at the beginning of the experiment. Participants also reported a significant reduction in pain…
Continue reading “Issue 8.24.18 Pain & Inflammation – Nature to the RESCUE” »
Skin Care Begins from the Inside-Out
Many skin disorders and premature aging are the outward manifestation of a body attempting to reduce its overall internal toxic burden as a result of accumulated by-products from multiple sources. What most people forget is that our skin is the largest organ of absorption and elimination – what goes on the skin goes into the body, as well as what’s inside manifests outside.
Auto-intoxication – The Road to Beautiful Skin is Paved with Good Intestines!
Since we now know scientifically that over 70% of our immune system is based in our gut, if intestinal health is compromised so is our skin. Our intestinal tract, specifically the large intestine (colon), is our personal “toxic waste chemical processing” receptacle – consisting of two main pipelines (pathways) through which toxins flow. Those toxic substances, manufactured within the colon, affect the entire body when transported from the colon into the liver via the hepatic portal vein. And, if they “leak” out of a damaged intestinal wall create a condition known as leaky gut syndrome – when proteins and toxins begin to leach out of the intestinal lining into the bloodstream, overloading the liver as it attempts to neutralize the toxins. It is remarkable that this five-foot long cavity, with its toxic contents, can be so close to the bloodstream without causing even more trouble – the intestinal wall is no thicker than that of your eyelid…CLICK to continue reading…
Continue reading “Issue 4.20.18 Skin Care Begins from the Inside-Out!” »
No one who responds to seasonal allergens looks forward to spring, especially when the tree pollen’s and dust begin flying. That said, you can minimize or eliminate – as I did – allergic responses to airborne triggers by taking simple steps you may not have considered. In addition, using a proprietary homeopathic remedy to not only rid yourself of symptoms but to take proactively before the season is well on its way, is your best “insurance”. AND, March is the time to begin that therapy.
More than thirty years ago I relocated from Southern California to Northern Idaho to open two natural health clinics. I never had seasonal allergies in California and I lived in both the southern and northern parts of the state. I didn’t give any thought to protecting myself from, or that I’d even respond to, airborne pollutants – was I in for a surprise!
The first spring, around mid-March I found myself with nagging frontal headaches, itchy swollen eyes, post-nasal drip and then by the first of April I developed a full-blown sinus infection with a headache that felt like a sledge hammer landed on my head. I hadn’t had a sinus infection in more than twenty years and after trying everything non-drug I finally ended up in the emergency room. The physician that saw me asked if I had a history of sinus infections. After taking a complete history, he commented, “Oh, if you just relocated here you’ll always have symptoms and/or infections this time of year with the burning of farm fields at the end of summer, and in the early spring all the pine pollen’s and dust flying around, just get used to it the rest of the year is beautiful here.” I couldn’t believe my ears…just get used to it! The only thing he could offer was an antibiotic for the sinus infection and an injection of a steroid (Kenalog) to help with the acute inflammation. Being a doctor of natural health, I KNEW what side-effects could ensue but I was in SO much pain I felt I could do anything once surely without terrible side-effects, right? WRONG…Click to continue reading…
Continue reading “Issue: 3.9.18 Spring into Action – COMBAT Spring Allergies” »
The following is a quick look at recent research regarding the health benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish and how they help induce better sleep:
Omega-3 (essentially DHA) was found to:
- Impart a mellowing/calming effect;
- Reduce arterial plaque;
- Lower triglycerides;
- Shield the heart from disease;
- Affect sleep quality.
The research, on children and adults, showed that the higher level of omega-3s are credited with fewer sleep problems in both groups. In addition, DHA was linked as beneficial in reducing the severity of sleep apnea…Click to continue reading…
Continue reading “Issue 6.23.17 “Fishy” Discovery to Help Adults & Kids Sleep Better” »
My patients with hypothyroidism (approximately over 70% of them) often ask about stories they’ve read or heard about the effects of certain foods on their thyroid health. Soy is their most common concern (and with good reason), however, broccoli, peanuts, strawberries, kale, spinach and other vegetables are also on this list. The message my patients hear, unfortunately, is that if you have any sort of thyroid dysfunction, you shouldn’t consume these foods — ever…AND…that’s a shame, because this all-or-nothing approach means that those with thyroid problems (particularly women) remove healthy, nutritious foods from their diet when they really don’t have to…
Continue reading “Issue 06.9.17 Thyroid Health – Healthy Foods, Harmful Foods” »
Penning’s from IWR Press…Launching Fresh Voices of Natural Health
Why are we beginning this article introduction about an eBook with a discussion about food when this book is about headaches? Because what we consume affects every biological function within our body, including food ingredients known to cause headaches – specifically migraines, tension headaches and allergic responses.
For the first time in the history of human existence, we are choosing to eat things that are NOT FOOD – and our bodies and diminishing quality of life show it!
The thing that bugs me is that the people think the FDA is protecting them – it isn’t. What the FDA is doing, and what the public thinks it is doing, is as different as night and day.
– Dr. Herbert L. Ley (1969), Former FDA Commissioner…
Continue reading “Issue 05.26.17 Migraines & Headaches – Causes, Effects & Natural Solutions” »
- Every 7 minutes someone in the United States becomes blind or significantly vision impaired.
- Vision loss tends to strike later in life, specifically after age 60.
- Nearly one-quarter of those over age 80 are blind or vision impaired and they are the fastest growing segment of our population.
- Americans with blindness, low vision, or age-related eye disease is expected to grow by nearly one-third – to 50 million+ – by 2020.
- Vision loss poses a very serious challenge to those who would otherwise remain part of a productive work force beyond age 65.
- Currently, lost productivity because of vision loss accounts for over $9 Billion dollars in annual lost productivity.
- Low vision or blindness affects approximately 1 in 28 Americans over the age of 40 – 3.3 million Americans.
- An estimated 1 million Americans over the age of 40 are legally blind.
- An association with vision loss and vehicular crashes has been shown in older adult drivers.
- Vision loss is a leading cause of falls in baby-boomers; one study found that visual field loss was associated with a 6-fold risk of frequent falls.
- Even mild visual impairment doubles the risk of mortality over a 5-year period.
“Blindness and vision impairment are on the rise in the United States. A recent report by Prevent Blindness America indicates that, since the year 2000, incidence of blindness and vision impairment has increased by 23 percent among Americans age 40 and older. However, most blindness in this country is preventable with proper eye care.” – The American Press
See…ing the Risk Factors…
In addition to age, major risk factors include a family history of eye disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure and/or cholesterol, to mention a few.
Major findings from a survey conducted by Tulane University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, include the following replies from participants that clearly demonstrate most people do not SEE their risk factors:
Continue reading “Issue 03.17.17 Don’t Be BLIND to Degenerative Eye Disorders / Diseases…” »
Knowing and monitoring your urine pH (potential hydrogen) is vital to good health. A pH level that is below the healthy range means your body is not doing a good job of ridding your system of acid, therefore, creating the perfect breeding ground for health-depleting microorganisms to flourish like viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungus’ and, yes, cancer cells.
The following are common symptoms that indicate your body is too acidic:
- Inability to lose excess weight – regardless of dieting or exercise. This occurs because excess waste product in the form of acid stay stored within the body. It is not being eliminated because the organs of detoxification/elimination – colon, kidneys, lymphatics and skin – are not able to do their job of eliminating toxins. Many of my fibromyalgia clients don’t realize until we consult that the excess acid is being pushed back into the fat tissues and causes the “invisible” pain they experience. In addition, the acidic pH retards weight loss because the acidity acts like a magnet and keeps toxins in fat cells.
- An acidic body will compensate by pulling minerals from your tissues and other organs. One of these minerals is calcium that is necessary for strength and bone health. A low urine pH causes weak bones as their supply of calcium is depleted; fractures occur easily, the reason patients with osteoporosis and osteopenia are asked to avoid acidic foods that deplete calcium (especially beef, caffeine and soft drinks).
- Your bones store calcium, the same as your teeth. A study in the Int’l Journal of Chemical Engineering showed low pH in the mouth caused demineralization of tooth enamel and cause mouth bacteria to escalate production of lactic acid that results in cavities. Also, an acidic mouth may cause sensitivity to foods and drink temperatures as well as gum disorders/diseases like recession that leads to periodontitis and gingivitis.
- An acid body allows hordes of microorganism to invade and multiply therefore triggering the immune responses and creating chronic fatigue – inhibiting your body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients. Poor nutrient absorption affects the body’s abilities to produce hormones and enzymes that produce energy.
- Your skin is the largest organ of absorption AND elimination AND one of the detoxifying organs. When the body is too acidic it becomes prone for bacteria and toxin overload. When this occurs it is usually a result of the liver not being able to eliminate the acidic toxic substances and the skin then compensates by flushing some of them out. When detoxification in this form occurs, it manifests as acne, clogged pores, allergies, rashes and eczema.
- Excessive mucus production is the body’s natural defense mechanism against acid buildup – its attempting to flush the body through nasal passages. If you are a victim of frequent mucus build-up, your body is overloaded with acid. Chronic mucus buildup, and the irritation it creates, often results in excessive coughing, clearing of throat, wheezing, sinus infections, breathing problems, chest pain and sinus headaches.
- An acidic body causes the muscles to constrict – further obstructing the oxygen-carrying blood capillaries running through the muscles and, therefore, causes strain and oxygen deprivation. In addition, it obstructs absorption of nutrients and vitamins from the blood that are necessary for proper function. When this occurs, the deprived muscles over-exert themselves to continue function, resulting in soreness and pain. If you experience muscle pain along with fatigue, without other natural causes like over-exertion, it’s a clear sign your body is overly acidic.
- Inability to get restorative sleep can also result from a low urine pH. If your body is needing sleep yet you struggle to get to, or stay, asleep you should check your pH. If your body is acidic and leaching calcium from your bones to neutralize it, it can lead to sleeplessness or un-restorative sleep.
Getting Your Body Alkaline…
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate – important to keep acids and all fluids moving and aid in their elimination via the digestive tract. Any efforts to achieve wellness or overcome an illness will fail if your body is not receiving adequate hydration. The rule of thumb is to drink half your weight in ounces (minimum daily). Therefore, if you weigh 150 lbs. you need a minimum of 75 ounces. Any drink that does not have forms of sugar or caffeine counts as water (Stevia and Lakanto can be used unlimited). I get tired of plain water so I make herbal teas (hot and iced) as well as fruit-infused waters.
- Begin your day with Dr. Gloria’s Hot Lemonade – Yes, lemon is an acidic fruit but the difference is it’s only acidic outside the body; when inside it transforms to alkaline and raises your urine pH level. For an educational flier on the health benefits of Hot Lemonade first thing in the morning, Download Nature’s Lemonade
- Limit caffeine consumption – organic coffee is actually healthy but limit it to no more than two cups daily. If you love coffee, like I do, use organic water-processed decaf to satisfy that craving…and…it won’t disturb your sleep or cause that caffeine rush. For a brochure on conditions related to an acidic body Download TooAcidicRemedies.
- AVOID – alcohol, soft drinks, processed meats, processed foods and artificial sugars.
- Supplement your diet with calcium and magnesium – low pH starves your body of these minerals by leaching them out of your bones and tissues – see list of green leafy vegetables below, they are rich in calcium and magnesium as are organic dairy products. Mackerel and salmon are rich sources of calcium and magnesium, just watch the source for a healthy terrain in which they reside and AVOID any farm-raised fish.
- Consume plenty of green leafy vegetables and avoid the nightshades known to accelerate inflammation. The following are the most alkaline: Kale, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, arugula, collards, chard, lettuce, zucchini, celery and green asparagus (white asparagus is acid-producing). Better yet, juice the alkalizing veggies of your choice into a healthy, green juice and drink it with breakfast.
- Be sure to eat organic – genetically-modified food typically contains chemicals and other health-depleting additives.
NOTE: Be sure to buy those little pH urine testing strips and check your urine once a week first void of the morning and make a note of it for reference. The goal should be to have a consistent pH of about 7.3 – 7.5.
- Does Chlorella Help Lower Cholesterol? - June 2, 2023
- Blue Spirulina Vs Green Spirulina: What’s The Difference And What’s Best For You - June 2, 2023
- Spirulina For Dogs: Is It Safe And Healthy For Your Furry Pals? - June 2, 2023