Knowing and monitoring your urine pH (potential hydrogen) is vital to good health. A pH level that is below the healthy range means your body is not doing a good job of ridding your system of acid, therefore, creating the perfect breeding ground for health-depleting microorganisms to flourish like viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungus’ and, yes, cancer cells.
The following are common symptoms that indicate your body is too acidic:
- Inability to lose excess weight – regardless of dieting or exercise. This occurs because excess waste product in the form of acid stay stored within the body. It is not being eliminated because the organs of detoxification/elimination – colon, kidneys, lymphatics and skin – are not able to do their job of eliminating toxins. Many of my fibromyalgia clients don’t realize until we consult that the excess acid is being pushed back into the fat tissues and causes the “invisible” pain they experience. In addition, the acidic pH retards weight loss because the acidity acts like a magnet and keeps toxins in fat cells.
- An acidic body will compensate by pulling minerals from your tissues and other organs. One of these minerals is calcium that is necessary for strength and bone health. A low urine pH causes weak bones as their supply of calcium is depleted; fractures occur easily, the reason patients with osteoporosis and osteopenia are asked to avoid acidic foods that deplete calcium (especially beef, caffeine and soft drinks).
- Your bones store calcium, the same as your teeth. A study in the Int’l Journal of Chemical Engineering showed low pH in the mouth caused demineralization of tooth enamel and cause mouth bacteria to escalate production of lactic acid that results in cavities. Also, an acidic mouth may cause sensitivity to foods and drink temperatures as well as gum disorders/diseases like recession that leads to periodontitis and gingivitis.
- An acid body allows hordes of microorganism to invade and multiply therefore triggering the immune responses and creating chronic fatigue – inhibiting your body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients. Poor nutrient absorption affects the body’s abilities to produce hormones and enzymes that produce energy.
- Your skin is the largest organ of absorption AND elimination AND one of the detoxifying organs. When the body is too acidic it becomes prone for bacteria and toxin overload. When this occurs it is usually a result of the liver not being able to eliminate the acidic toxic substances and the skin then compensates by flushing some of them out. When detoxification in this form occurs, it manifests as acne, clogged pores, allergies, rashes and eczema.
- Excessive mucus production is the body’s natural defense mechanism against acid buildup – its attempting to flush the body through nasal passages. If you are a victim of frequent mucus build-up, your body is overloaded with acid. Chronic mucus buildup, and the irritation it creates, often results in excessive coughing, clearing of throat, wheezing, sinus infections, breathing problems, chest pain and sinus headaches.
- An acidic body causes the muscles to constrict – further obstructing the oxygen-carrying blood capillaries running through the muscles and, therefore, causes strain and oxygen deprivation. In addition, it obstructs absorption of nutrients and vitamins from the blood that are necessary for proper function. When this occurs, the deprived muscles over-exert themselves to continue function, resulting in soreness and pain. If you experience muscle pain along with fatigue, without other natural causes like over-exertion, it’s a clear sign your body is overly acidic.
- Inability to get restorative sleep can also result from a low urine pH. If your body is needing sleep yet you struggle to get to, or stay, asleep you should check your pH. If your body is acidic and leaching calcium from your bones to neutralize it, it can lead to sleeplessness or un-restorative sleep.
Getting Your Body Alkaline…
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate – important to keep acids and all fluids moving and aid in their elimination via the digestive tract. Any efforts to achieve wellness or overcome an illness will fail if your body is not receiving adequate hydration. The rule of thumb is to drink half your weight in ounces (minimum daily). Therefore, if you weigh 150 lbs. you need a minimum of 75 ounces. Any drink that does not have forms of sugar or caffeine counts as water (Stevia and Lakanto can be used unlimited). I get tired of plain water so I make herbal teas (hot and iced) as well as fruit-infused waters.
- Begin your day with Dr. Gloria’s Hot Lemonade – Yes, lemon is an acidic fruit but the difference is it’s only acidic outside the body; when inside it transforms to alkaline and raises your urine pH level. For an educational flier on the health benefits of Hot Lemonade first thing in the morning, Download Nature’s Lemonade
- Limit caffeine consumption – organic coffee is actually healthy but limit it to no more than two cups daily. If you love coffee, like I do, use organic water-processed decaf to satisfy that craving…and…it won’t disturb your sleep or cause that caffeine rush. For a brochure on conditions related to an acidic body Download TooAcidicRemedies.
- AVOID – alcohol, soft drinks, processed meats, processed foods and artificial sugars.
- Supplement your diet with calcium and magnesium – low pH starves your body of these minerals by leaching them out of your bones and tissues – see list of green leafy vegetables below, they are rich in calcium and magnesium as are organic dairy products. Mackerel and salmon are rich sources of calcium and magnesium, just watch the source for a healthy terrain in which they reside and AVOID any farm-raised fish.
- Consume plenty of green leafy vegetables and avoid the nightshades known to accelerate inflammation. The following are the most alkaline: Kale, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, arugula, collards, chard, lettuce, zucchini, celery and green asparagus (white asparagus is acid-producing). Better yet, juice the alkalizing veggies of your choice into a healthy, green juice and drink it with breakfast.
- Be sure to eat organic – genetically-modified food typically contains chemicals and other health-depleting additives.
NOTE: Be sure to buy those little pH urine testing strips and check your urine once a week first void of the morning and make a note of it for reference. The goal should be to have a consistent pH of about 7.3 – 7.5.
- Is Spirulina Good For Arteries? How Can This Help Improve Overall Heart Health - September 10, 2023
- Spirulina Blood Pressure Benefits To Take Advantage Of - September 10, 2023
- Spirulina For Cancer: How Can This Blue-Green Algae Help? - September 10, 2023